This study’s relevance is determined by the absence of serious research, science-based, tested and verified programs and training materials related to the use of Augmented Reality (AR) technologies when getting students education in Engineering and Computer Graphics (ECG). The study’s aim was the introduction of AR-technologies in the project activities of first-year students. The study was conducted on the base of St. Petersburg Mining University. 48 first-year students of the Civil Engineering Faculty, pursuing a specialist's degree in “Construction of Unique Buildings and Structures”, participated in the project activity. The students' project activities results showed that at present, AR-technologies have gained popularity not only among designers and planners, but also among schoolteachers, as well as among lecturers and students of technical universities. A student team of St. Petersburg Mining University solved the design problem using AR-technology and created an informational 3-D model of the building structure. The existing methods related to students training have been completed and updated with the method of graphical presentation for the students' project activities results with the help of AR-technologies. As a result of the students’ project activities study, has been revealed the thoroughly obvious need for teaching a new generation of students to use AR-technologies. The aim is implementation of AR-technologies by students in the perspective, with continuous and subsequent self-education, as well as teaching future designers of rational use of AR-technologies to solve educational and practical problems, including areas of engineering and computer graphics. The study had showed that currently there is not enough of scientifically based learning materials for the organization of students' project activities using AR-technologies. Has been revealed the need for further scientific research in the field of AR-technologies implementation in the students’ project activities within the framework of ECG academic discipline. The paper materials can be useful for lecturers of all levels.
augmented reality (AR), project activities, engineering and computer graphics (ECG)
1. Al'shakova E.L. Primenenie informacionnyh tekhnologij v uchebnom processe na kafedre nachertatel'noj geometrii i inzhenernoj grafiki [Application of information technology in the educational process at the Department of Descriptive Geometry and Engineering Graphics]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2013, V.1, I. 1, pp. 42-46. – DOI: 10.12737/471. (in Russian)
2. Belova O.P., Kaznin A.A. Primenenie tekhnologii dopolnennoj real'nosti dlya graficheskoj vizualizacii uchebnyh zadach prostranstvennoj geometrii [Application of augmented reality technology for graphical visualization of educational problems of spatial geometry]. Nauchno-metodicheskij elektronnyj zhurnal «Koncept» [Scientific and methodological electronic journal «Concept»]. 2017, I. 39, pp. 3521-3525. Available at: http://e-koncept.ru/2017/971031.htm. (in Russian)
3. Blagoveshchensky I.A., Dem'yankov N.A. Tekhnologii i algoritmy dlya sozdaniya dopolnennoj real'nosti [Technologies and algorithms for creating Augmented Reality]. Modelirovanie i analiz informacionnyh sistem [Modeling and analysis of information systems]. 2013, V. 20, I. 2, pp. 129-138. – DOI: 10.18255/1818-1015-2013-2-129-138. (in Russian)
4. Volkova M.Yu., Egorycheva E.V. Graficheskaya gramotnost' kak sposob polucheniya fundamental'nyh professional'nyh znanij [Graphic literacy as a way of obtaining fundamental professional knowledge]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2014, V. 2, I. 1, pp. 53-57. – DOI: 10.12737/3849. (in Russian)
5. Vyshnepol'skij V.I., Sal'kov N.A. Celi i metody obucheniya graficheskim disciplinam [Goals and methods of teaching graphic disciplines]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2013, V. 1, I. 2, pp. 8-9. – DOI: 10.12737/777. (in Russian)
6. Guzenkov V.N. Informacionnye tekhnologii v graficheskih disciplinah tekhnicheskogo universiteta [Information technology in the graphic disciplines of a technical university]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2013, V. 1, I. 1, pp. 26-28. – DOI: 10.12737/2128. (in Russian)
7. Evstratova L.A., Isaeva N.V., Leshukova O.V. Proektnoe obuchenie. Praktiki vnedreniya v Universitetah [Project training. University implementation practices]. Skolkovo [Skolkovo]. 2018, 154 p. – Available at: https://uni.hse.ru/data/2018/07/02/1153130829/ (in Russian)
8. Erckina E.B., Korol'kova N.N. Geometricheskoe modelirovanie v avtomatizirovannom proektirovanii arhitekturnyh ob"ektov [Geometric modeling in the automated design of architectural objects]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2016, V. 1, I. 2, pp. 48-54. – DOI: 10.12737/19833. (in Russian)
9. Zavyalova N.B. Proektnaya rabota studentov: kak uluchshit' rezul'tat [Students project work: how to improve the result]. Kreativnaya ekonomika [Creative Economy]. 2017, V. 11, I. 9, pp. 943-952. – DOI: 10.18334/ce.11.9.38328. (in Russian)
10. Ivanov V.N., Krivoshapko S.N., Romanova V.A. Osnovy razrabotki i vizualizacii ob"ektov analiticheskih poverhnostej i perspektivy ih ispol'zovaniya v arhitekture i stroitel'stve [Fundamentals of the development and visualization of objects of analytical surfaces and the prospects for their use in architecture and construction]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2017, V. 1, I. 4, pp. 3-14. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5a17f590be3f51.37534061. (in Russian)
11. Ignat'ev S.A. Tekhnologii testirovaniya v ocenke predmetnoj gotovnosti studentov k izucheniyu geometro-graficheskih disciplin vuza [Testing technologies in assessing the subject readiness of students to study the geometric-graphic disciplines of the university]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2019, V. 7, I. 4, pp. 65-75. – DOI: 10.12737/2308-4898-2020-65-75. (in Russian)
12. Ignat'ev S.A. Opyt razrabotki elektronnyh sredstv obucheniya dlya prepodavaniya geometro-graficheskih disciplin [Experience of development of electronic learning tools for teaching geometro-graphic disciplines]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2017, V. 5, I. 2, pp. 84-92. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5953f362d92c46.58282826. (in Russian)
13. Mashnin T. Razrabotka Android-prilozhenij s Augmented Reality [Development of Android applications with Augmented Reality]. Ekaterinburg, Izdatel'skie resheniya Publ., 2017. 240 p. (in Russian)
14. Panchenko V.A. Sovremennye sredstva obucheniya graficheskim disciplinam studentov zaochnoj formy obucheniya [Modern means of teaching graphic disciplines of students of correspondence courses]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2018, V. 6, I. 4, pp. 72-87. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5c21fa732f6b62.81431444. (in Russian)
15. Savel'ev YU.A., Babich E.V. Komp'yuternaya metodika izucheniya nachertatel'noj geometrii. Tekhnicheskoe zadanie [Computer technique for the study of descriptive geometry. Terms of Reference]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2018, V. 6, I. 1, pp. 67-74. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5ad09d62e8a792.47611365. (in Russian)
16. Sal'kov N.A. Geometricheskaya sostavlyayushchaya tekhnicheskih innovacij [The geometric component of technical innovation]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2018, V. 6, I. 2, pp. 85-93. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5b55a5163fa053.07622109. (in Russian)
17. Turutina T.F. Primenenie informacionnyh tekhnologij v metodike proverki graficheskoj gramotnosti budushchih specialistov [The use of information technology in the methodology of checking graphic literacy of future specialists]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2020, V. 8, I. 1, pp. 45-56. – DOI: 10.12737/2308-4898-2020-45-56. (in Russian)
18. Usataya T.V., Deryabina L.V., Reshetnikova E.S. Sovremennye podhody k proektirovaniyu izdelij v processe obucheniya studentov komp'yuternoj grafike [Modern approaches to product design in the process of teaching students computer graphics]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2019, V. 7, I. 1, pp. 74-82. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5c91fd2bde0ff7.07282102. (in Russian)
19. Fedoseeva M.A. Metodika podgotovki studentov tekhnicheskih vuzov graficheskim disciplinam [Methods of preparing students of technical universities for graphic disciplines]. Geometriya i grafika [Geometry and Graphics]. 2019, V. 7, I. 1, pp. 68-73. – DOI: 10.12737/article_5c91fed8650bb7.79232969. (in Russian)
20. Merkulova V.A., Voronina M.V., Tretyakova Z.O. (2018) Designing mountain drawings with the help of computer-aided design (CAD). IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, V. 451 (2018) 012122, I. 1, pp. 1-7. – DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/451/1/012122.
21. Tretyakova Z.O., Voronina M.V., Merkulova V.A. (2019) Geometric modelling of building forms using BIM, VR, AR-technology. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, V. 687 (2019) 044048, I. 4, pp. 1-8. – DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/687/4/044048.
22. Voronina M.V., Tretyakova Z.O., Krivonozhkina E.G., Buslaev S.I., Sidorenko G.G. (2019). Augmented Reality in Teaching Descriptive Geometry, Engineering and Computer Graphics – Systematic Review and Results of the Russian Teachers’ Experience. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, I. 15(12), pp. 1-17. – DOI: 10.29333/ejmste/113503.